Copyright © Will Style
Design by Dzignine
Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My first fashion internship


Earlier this summer, I was thinking about going to fashion school to ameliorate my fashion styling skills. However, I didn’t know any more schools which offered fashion styling that wouldn’t coincide with my driving lessons. So I decided to go to driving school instead, setting aside my fashion dilemma for a while.

After sometime, a good friend of mine suddenly contacted me regarding an internship for a fashion show. I asked what I would do and she told me that I’d be styling models for a series of fashion shows. I didn’t think twice anymore and immediately said yes!


             The series of fashion shows is called Style Origin 2012. Style Origin shows are a series of fashion shows going on in all Ayala Malls every weekend from April until June. Saturday shows are Men’s Week fashion show and Sunday shows are High Fashion Street which are composed of clothes for kids, men, and women.

My co-interns and I didn’t really get to take a lot of pictures because, of course, we had to focus on our job as interns.  This would explain the lack of pictures in this post.  Since this was a fashion show, last minute changes were always present.  We had to be alert and prepared at all times. The last thing we wanted to happen was for the models we were styling to strut the runway with their shirts inside-out or their shoes wrongly paired.

GLORIETTA (April 28 & 28)
Style Origin’s first show was in Greenbelt.  However, I wasn’t an intern at that time yet. I only started the week after that, just in time for the Glorietta show.  I went there not knowing what to do and what to expect. I just told myself I’d give this a shot. Anything for my dreams! During the Glorietta show, each intern was assigned to a couple or more models. We would be the ones dressing them up for the fashion show. This is no joke! We would sometimes have to undress a model and dress him/her up again for his/her next outfit in a span of two minutes – and don’t even get me started with the accessories – there were loads of ‘em!

Some perks of being an intern is that we get to see, and sometimes, style celebrities like Xian Lim, Enchong Dee, Hayden Kho, Megan Young, and many more! I actually got to semi-style a DJ for Magic 89.9. Yes, she is none other than the ever-so-pretty Andi Manzano. I accompanied her to F&H in Glorietta 5 to get the swimsuits she would be wearing over her cover-up. Woot woot!

Got this photo from Andi Manzano's facebook page! :) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150721439501896&set=a.116183521895.102454.34528296895&type=1

After this exhausting and nerve-wracking experience, I still decided to commit myself to the next shows. Why? Simple. I was finally doing something to achieve my dreams; I was meeting people, and most importantly, I was doing something I loved.

TRINOMA (May 5 & 6)
A lot of our local celebrities walked on the runway in this show – Georgina Wilson, Chris Tiu, Sam Pinto, to name a few. An unforgettable moment here was that our head stylist didn’t want the coat worn by one of the models so he decided to disregard it, AND HE REPLACED IT WITH MY BROWN CARDIGAN INSTEAD.  Our head stylist asked me to take my brown cardigan off and made the model wear it for a more preppy look! Good thing it matched with the model’s loafers ;)

MARQUEE MALL (May 12 & 13)
This show wasn’t required for us to attend to since this is located in Pampanga. Luckily, this is my province so I volunteered to go to the show. Yeah, eager beaver right here! I’m so glad I went to the show and met one of the best Filipino fashion designers, Bang Pineda – who, by the way, is the stylist of none other thanVice Ganda! Vice Ganda was in the show too, but I didn’t get to see her since I was too busy prepping the models up. Boo :(

This neon orange eyeglasses was an accessory for one of Bang Pineda’s collection. Yeah, I used it and took a shot of it! Just so you know, I asked permission from Mr. Bang himself! Got this photo from my BB. You might wanna follow me on Twitter! :) Here! https://twitter.com/#!/willchengiam


ATC shows (May 19 & 20)
                                               (c) Rollen Ancheta
Pretty much the same things happened in this show. We were a bit idle so we got the time to take some shots! I wanted to go for a mild-rocktar-ish look so I went with the Topman black V-neck top, Bench pants (which looks cool as I have been told), Ecko shoes, and a Toy watch!

                                     (c) Rollen Ancheta
A little bit too idle. Sarreh fo that! Guess I just missed cheerdancing. So I decided to do a side hurdler-ish for my jumpshot :)


What's good about this is that not only am I working but I am also interning with people who are also into styling, meeting Filipino fashion designers, working with celebrity fashion stylists (like Ms. Alex Lapa, Mr. Nio Manzano, and Mr. Noel Manapat), and lastly, learning a lot of things with this experience! 


FEW TIPS ON WHAT AN INTERN 

(A FASHION INTERN) MUST DO


1.) Do a lil research - It is important to know a little about the environment you are working in so you won't seem like a dimwit.

2.) Know your position - When I say "Know your position" it's like knowing where you stand. Knowing who are your bosses, the ones above you, then act accordingly. 

3.) Be polite - We have to be respectful. Not only to our bosses but also to the other people like the ones from the other department, maintenance, guards, etc.

4.) Be willing to learn - Since you are interning, you must be willing to learn and be open to all suggestions since this is for your own good. Committing mistakes is a part of learning, a very important one, I might say. Don't dwell too much on your mistakes, learn from them. 
*** Know the peg/genre/inspirational looks of your boss/ the company you're working in. (Special thanks to Jan for this additional tip)

5.) Socialize - One of the most important things is simply talking to people. Meet new people, converse with them, and who knows? You might be "discovered" and be hired as an employee!

6.) Enjoy! - It's so hard to learn and work at the same time when you're not enjoying! 



We can’t really say some things and post some photos until the whole show is over. So wait ‘til the show’s over, then I could prolly post more pics and blog about it. Soon! 

Anyway, you can still catch us on these dates!
June 2: Bonifacio High Street
June 3: Market Market
Style Origin will also be going to Cebu and Davao for their last shows! Check out the Ayala Malls located there. 

Edited by: Steffi Jao 

3 comments:

  1. Nice one, Will!! Looks so much fun! Wish I could join you on your next internship. I would love to style models and meet different celebrities as well. Hehe. Missing you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aika! Sadly, this internship's about to end na! Though I might ask them to hook me up with other events, hopefully! Thank you Aika! See you around the campus! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete